I have been working on a project to build a website to document the bicycle trails that I have researched and ridden. This has expanded from a project where I would just use Facebook pages to store a few trails to hunting through online web builders till I selected Wix. So I built www.biketrail.info and then I started going crazy riding all over the place. After I while I realised that the menus would not cope with 30+ trails. So I decided to have a go at building a home grown website that would handle large numbers of pages. After all haven't I been doing this for 12 years with 500 articles in vb123.com.au.
To get this site going, I wanted to recreate some of the look of Wix site I created www.biketrail.info and I also wanted to make the site go faster.
After hunting for a while, my son and I realised the site was being driven by Google Open Sans This turns out to be more than a just a font you download but a Google rethink of the way fonts work. I guess that is what had to happen with phones and various browsers all using their own fonts. It never bothered me till now because I am a Microsoft desktop man and fonts are always on my computer.
Onward and now I have almost completed my rewrite of biketrail and I now I have taken a couple of days to rework all the fonts/styles at www.vb123.com.au so that you can happily browse my site with your phone.
To prove to you that I did ok, try running vb123.com.au in a iPhone simulator. Its really cool. With the simulator you can even review your own favourite websites as well.
This was the project I never planned to do but I really loved it. Research is fun, it always seems painful and unprofitable as you do it and then you win. :)